In the year 1997, the Rotary Club of Mapusa, under Presidency of Rtn. Dr. Digambar Naik took the initiative to sponsor a new Club at Porvorim. Rtn. N. P. S. Varde was entrusted the task as mentor and co-ordinator for this initiative.
Rtn. Varde started a chain of contacts, meeting leading professionals of Porvorim and bringing them under one roof for interaction. Besides explaining the philosophy of the Rotary world. In February 1997, 25 like-minded enthusiastic residents of Porvorim came together and met for the first time at Casino Motels. They then decided to join the Rotary movement under the banner of “Rotary Club of Porvorim”. The thought and spirit behind this decision was the common belief of “giving back to society that has been kind and has given a lot to each one of us”. The Club was Chartered on 30th June 1997 by Rotary International and the Charter was presented to the Club on 15th July 97.
The Charter office bearers for the first year (1997-98) were President – Rtn. Sadanand Sawant; Secretary – Rtn. Ravi Gupta; Vice President – Rtn. Cesar Costa; President elect – Rtn. Subash Gulati; Treasurer – Rtn. Anil Palekar; Director Club Services – Rtn. Anuj Kumar; Director Community Services – Rtn. Lavina Fernandes; Director International Services – Rtn. Dean D’Cruz; Director Vocational Sevices – Rtn. Amita Salatry; Sergeant at Arms – Rtn. Suresh Mahambre.
Weekly meetings were held at Cajueiro Restaurant every Tuesday at 7.30 pm. The Rotary Club of Porvorim was the 7th Rotary Club in the State of Goa.
In very 1st year of its inception, the Club achieved several milestones:
- 1st. Club in the District to have Charter lady members.
- Only Club in the District to have 4 lady members.
- Only Club with Father & Son – Rtn. Sadanand Sawant & Rtn. Gurish Sawant as Charter members.
- Only Club in the District to have Matching Grant Project in its 1st year.
- The First Club in Goa to have a Matching Grant Project.
- The Highest per Capita contribution in the District to the Rotary Foundation with 5 PHFs in the first year.
- Best up-coming Club of the District.
- Excellence Award to the President and Out-Standing Secretary Award.
- Rtn. Sadanand Sawant2. Rtn. Cesar Costa
- Rt.Subhash Gulati4. Rtn. Ravi Gupta
- Rtn. Anil V. Palekar6. Rtn. Lavina Fernandes
- Rtn. Amita A. Salatry8. Rtn. Noeline Mendonsa
- Rtn. Celine Cordeiro10. Rtn. H. P. U. K. Nair
- Rtn. Krishna Kumar12. Rtn. Guirish Sawant
- Rtn. Dean D’Cruz14. Rtn. Suresh Mahambre
- Rtn. Arun Sardessai16. Rtn. V. T. Thomas
- Rtn. Vivek Arora18. Rtn. Shivanand Singbal
- Rtn. Hrishikesh Kamat20. Rtn. John Lobo
- Rtn. Anuj Kumar22. Rtn. Vikas Chodankar
- Rtn. A. Subramaniam24. Rtn. Sandesh Parrikar
- Rtn. Arvind Hegde